They are selfless individuals who have a heart for impoverished, defenseless children.
2. Why is Sponsorship Effective?
Sponsorship is effective because the sponsors monthly donation can be relied upon to be there when needed to meet the financial obligations necessary to support the childen’s program. Prayer for the child is also very important and brings lasting, positive results.
3. How do Children Benefit From Sponsorship?
The children benefit in five areas:
* Education (spiritual and academic)
* Emergency Fund
The sponsorship program is a church based ministry and is designed to connect the child and their family to the local church. While sponsorship is a one to one relationship between you and your sponsor child, the program benefits the entire family and their community.
4. How much does Sponsorship Cost per Month per Child?
5. Communicating with your child
Communications between child and sponsor is a very important part of this relationship, one that we take very seriously. Through the child sponsorship website you are able to login to your account and write a letter to your child. Your letter is forwarded to the program administrators for translation and then delivered to the child. We ask that your letter follow these guidelines:
- Do not include any personal contact information including telephone number, address, email address, twitter, facebook, or any other way that the child could contact you directly. This is for both your protection and the protection of the children.
- Do not include any promises such as a promise of a gift, a visit, or other forms of support. Despite our best intentions, sometimes we are not able to live up to these promises which can have devastating effects on the child.
- Do share information about your life but be careful not to share in such a way that may cause jealousy or envy.
- Encourage your sponsor child in their education and to continue following the Lord.
We encourage sponsors to remember a child’s birthday and holidays such as Christmas. These are wonderful opportunities to bless your sponsored child. In the past we have allowed sponsors to send gifts through the mail; however, we have since changed that policy and request that you do not mail gifts. There are several reasons for this. Mailing items to Honduras is expensive. Not just for you but also for the Child Sponsorship Program. For every pound you send we have to pay $4. That is money that could be better spent on the children. Instead we ask that you send cash gifts. The administrators will then shop for the gifts here in Honduras. You are welcome to specify what you would like purchased for your child. We will do our best to honor your request. This also helps in another way by supporting local businesses and providing jobs for the poor of Honduras. If you are visiting Honduras you are welcome to bring a gift for your child with you.
7. Child Visits
There is nothing quite as special and as rewarding as visiting your sponsor child. Child visits are welcomed and encouraged. If you would like to visit your child please contact us through this site to let us know when you would like to come. All visits must be arranged in advance and must be accompanied by a representative from Manos Extendidas.