Please realize that the following elements are crucial to the effectiveness, quality, and safety of a short term missions team. As a representative of this short term missions team, you agree to:
1. Remember that you are a guest working at the invitation of a local missionary, pastor, medical clinic, etc. If your hosts are offended by bare arms, shirtless backs, and exposed legs, you’ll cover them. I’ll remember the missionaries’ prayer: “Where you lead me, I will follow; what you feed me, I will swallow!”
2. Remember that you have come to learn, not to teach. You may run across procedures that you feel are inefficient, or attitudes that you find closed-minded. Be open to learning about other people’s methods and ideas.
3. Respect the host’s view of Christianity. Recognize that Christianity has many faces throughout the world, and that the purpose of this trip is to witness and experience faith lived out in a new setting.
4. Develop and maintain a servant attitude toward all nationals, your teammates and MEH staff.
5. Respect must be evident towards the team leader and his or her decisions.
6. Refrain from complaining. Travel can present numerous unexpected and undesired circumstances, but the rewards of conquering such circumstances are innumerable.
7. Respect the work that is going on in Honduras with the particular church, agency, or person that you are working with. Realize that your team is here for just a short while, but that the missionary and local churches are here for the long term. Respect their knowledge, insights, and instructions.
8. Fulfill all logistical requirements. Comply with all requirements regarding passports, finances, shots, and so on.
9. Refrain from negative political comments concerning Honduras politics.
10. Remember not to be exclusive in relationships. If a team member is attracted to a teammate, they should not attempt to pursue a romantic relationship while in the mission field.
11. Refrain from any activity that could be construed as romantic interest toward a national. Realize certain activities that seem innocent in your own culture may seem inappropriate in others.
12. Abstain from the consumption of alcoholic beverages, the use of tobacco or the use of illegal drugs while on the trip.
13. MEH has the right to request that a member(s) of your team be confronted regarding any of the above. As a last resort, if deemed necessary, the team member may be asked to return home. Air ticket change-date fees will be the responsibility of the team leader.